Sunday, March 22, 2009

Super Sap.

We are pretty sure we have super muscle silver maple trees.
Dan spent all day yesterday, and half of the night, boiling down about 20 gallons of sap. Typically, 20 gallons of silver maple tree sap will give a lucky guy a couple of quarts of the liquid gold. But, upon crawling into bed at 4am, Dan happily announced that he had found almost a whole gallon of golden nectar hidden behind all that water.

Mercy!

So, syruping is going well this year. I'd say.

In other news, Toby is doing well. He sleeps at night (hoo ray!) and is the source for many of Ana's giggles and kisses. Life is grand.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!! The other day, upon the announcement that I had a maple syrup farm in the family, a Canadian friend looked me straight in the eye, and said, "Marry me."

The Lee Life said...

I may need to buy some of your syrup this year. My Dad usually makes it but his Sugar Bush is flooded this year and he probably won't be able to make it.

Mr. Dad said...

Rebecca - how many trees does your dad tap? I remember seeing his sap evaporator, and it looked like he could probably go through quite a bit. That'd be too bad if he had to skip a year.

The Lee Life said...

Not sure how many he taps. Let me know when/if you sell some...I'll definitely buy.